Monday, October 30, 2017

The Power of Focus

During pharmacy school I had the pleasure of being acquaintances with one of the most outgoing people I've ever met in my life. This person had experienced a lot in their lifetime and seen a lot of misfortune but I think those things only made them more ambitious and more positive. They were involved in everything. Their theory was: they were so grateful for the opportunity to become a pharmacist (be in pharmacy school) they were going to take advantage of every opportunity they could. While I admired my classmate's enthusiasm, their life just seemed like a lot.  I often thought, what are their real goals and ultimately what are they trying to accomplish.

I on the other hand, didn't do a lot. Well, to be honest I tried. I tried throwing dirt at the wall to see what stuck and it didn't go over well. I wasn't happy or enthused with any of the things I was doing. To be honest, I wasn't focused. Let's just say, I learned the hard way what the lack of focus can do. There is power in being focused. Focus will help you put life into perspective and accomplish things you never knew you wanted to achieve.

Goals: When you are focused, you are able to clearly define what it is you want to do or at least get in the general location. These goals are concise, and they make sense.

Time: Because the goals are specific to what you desire to accomplish, you save time. Being focused is most definitely time-saving. You are spending time doing things that are going to get you to the goals you want to achieve.

Fulfillment: Even if everything you are doing isn't actually enjoyable. You will get the satisfaction of knowing you are moving closer to your goals.

When I was able to become focused it changed the course of my career. I was able to identify my enjoyment for writing.

 Then I pursed a writing career.

 Which lead me to writing articles, which I have published both locally and nationally.

Focus is a conscious decision. Are you focused?

No comments:

Post a Comment