Saturday, July 6, 2013

My Response...

I'm not sure if you all are aware or not that I have a contact form linked to this blog, if ever you have a question or topic or maybe you just want to say hey, please feel free to use that.

This post is to respond to a young lady who emailed me about pharmacy school. I have several posts that I have written about some of my experiences with pharmacy school what I suggest, how to study and things of that nature so it may be beneficial to take a look at those.

It is important to take into consideration that each pharmacy school has different curriculum and I started pharmacy school 3 months post partum.

To your first question what types of books should you read?

I was really unsure of how to answer this question because I could not make heads or tails of what your current academic level is. I think if you are interested in pharmacy it wouldn't be a bad idea to get familiar with some of the magazines that are out: pharmacy times, pharmacy today, and countless others... there are blogs and organizations like NCPA,  and APHA that offer valuable content. If you are looking for materials to prepare for the pcat I suggest kaplan they have an amazing review book and I would take time and go through that. The key to the pcat is practice, introducing yourself to different questions and the Right answers and time. Time is a BIG factor with the pcat.

You also mentioned being worried about catching up.

 My advice to you would be: you seem like a good student you are using resources to get prepared. I would take this time to relax if you are waiting to enter school in fall. You will not fall behind. During the school year STAY ON TOP OF YOUR WORK. Look at something everyday no matter what. One of my friends is a morning person so every morning from 5 am to 7 am she reviews and 30 minutes before she goes to bed. Just that little bit of extra looking over material helps. That is the most effective thing that I can tell you to do because it works.  Teachers will tell you even if you start pharmacy school with a doctorate in chemistry it will not be more beneficial, you all start on the same playing field. Your work ethic and study habits will do the most for you.

My first year went like this:

Fall,
Introduction to pharmacy practice
A&P
Pharmaceutical Care
Pharmaceutics
P.Chem

Spring
Pharmaceutical care 2
Pharmaceutics 2
Med Chem
BioStats

For those courses, professors didn't really use text books they gave out packets and did powerpoints and put material on blackboard. Purchasing text books wasn't really necessary. I say that to say this, save your money and wait until you start classes and ask your professors if you need to purchase the textbooks, it will save you lots of money.

ADVICE
-study always
-you will need to try different techniques (visual, written, listening)
-find a job in the pharmacy (it will help ALOT)
-buy a dry erase board ( a big one)
-find a comfy study area
-find a comfy study area in the library
-make time for your health (gym, eating)
-make healthy study snacks
-save all materials given(after each year file them away)
-learn don't memorize
-learn top 200 drugs before your rotations
-look at material everyday even if you don't feel like it
-have a set time to study and don't let anything interrupt that
-try to find a study group but if you can't study alone
-start preparing for a test the day you learn material
-stay on top or fall behind
-give yourself breaks
-you go to school for education not friends
-rest
-get in bed by midnight ALWAYS
-ask questions
-don't be nervous you got this

P.S.
I say this to be motivational and not cocky. I have a 1 year old daughter I started school 3 months after I had her via csection. Go to school and do what you need to do. My first semester I made the dean's list. Out of both semesters 10 people of 65 had failed a course and 2 people had dropped out. I wasn't in either category. Put your mind to it and do it. I'm not speaking ill or trying to praise myself. Through God all things are possible and never let anything come in between you and your dream.

Anything else just email me. I'll be sure to respond

No comments:

Post a Comment